Oh did we have a full day on Saturday!! We started out the day by learning how to make Jam!! Us girls went to my sister 's house and my mom brought 5 CASES of strawberries!! It was a ton of fun and I am SO glad I finally got to learn how to make freezer jam. I'm super excited to do other kind of fruits. We had a pretty good system down- cutting fruit, blending the fruit, adding sugar, making the pectin mixture, stirring some more, and putting it into containers.
After we were done making the Jam, everyone went home to take a little break and then later that night they came down to our house to help weed our garden. So I have to tell you about our garden. Jay and I thought it would be a FABULOUS idea to start a garden. Little did we know what we were getting ourselves into. Nobody told me how many tomato's grow on a plant, so in all my thinking I thought to myself "I really want a lot of tomatoes because I want to can salsa and whole tomatoes." Well I bought 24 tomato plants. I had no idea how many tomatoes that was until my grandpa came down to help us plant the garden. Lukily I have family that also wants tomatoes. I'm also thinkin' maybe I should sell them infront of my house!
I'm really excited though. We also planted green peppers, cucumbers, zuccini, onions, lettuce, pumpkins, and watermelons. We have a HUGE area and this isn't even all of it. We couldn't use all the land we have in our back yard. The weeds have been growing like crazy, and with Jay being gone, I haven't been able to keep up on it. So this is where my family comes into play.... I told them they can have a piece of the pie if they come help me!! ha ha I am so grateful they came down to help weed. They are the best!!! Thank you Dad for all your hard work!
5 comments:
I totally want a piece of that pie. We would have come down yesterday..... We have no room for a garden. I have told my neighbors that I weed for veggies. I hope someone takes me up on the offer. lol. Looks like fun:)
What a fun day!! I have always wanted to learn how to do jam, maybe you will have to teach me. Your family is awesome, but I have always thought that! :)
It's the best time of year for that kind of stuff! I love homemade jam! Store bought just doesn't cut it. Your garden is huge! I'll have to show Devin the pictures and I'm sure he'll be jealous!
You need to start inviting me to these get togethers. We would have so much fun!! We need to get together for lunch with our moms.
Our moms said we pick the time for lunch and they will be there. So let me know. Also, I have been thinking about you as my husband has been listening to Celine for the past week now. LOL
Post a Comment